For advice on severe allergies, visit the Anaphylaxis Campaign website www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/living-with-anaphylaxis/young-people or drop us a line info@anaphylaxis.org.uk / 01252 542029 /@ACOutthere/@Anaphylaxiscoms

Wednesday, 30 March 2016

Amie Bedford

Fourteen year old Amie Bedford describes the terrifying moment she started going into Anaphylactic Shock after tasting rocky road.

I was making a rocky road in school. I had been shopping the previous night for ingredients. The ingredient list said to get Brazil nuts, but as I couldn't find any, I got cashew nuts. I had finished my rocky road and me and my friend decided to taste some. Immediately, my throat started to really hurt very quickly and I could feel my throat starting to close. My parents were called to school and shortly after, I was violently sick. I was having a panic attack and felt a sense of impending doom. I was taken home where I was violently sick again.
Soon after, my mum took me to A&E at Bournemouth Hospital. On the way my face started to swell, my eyelids went white and bumpy, my lips went swollen and purple and I had generalised facial swelling. I have asthma so that made my chest a lot worse. At the hospital I was taken straight in to recuss. My blood pressure, pulse and oxygen levels dropped very low. After having oxygen, a nebuliser and lots of medicine through a cannula, I started to feel a lot better. I couldn't thank the nurses and doctors at Bournemouth enough.

Living with a nut allergy and any other allergy can be extremely hard; asking what's in your food all the time can be quite embarrassing! After having allergy testing, I found out I was allergic to cashews, pistachios and peanuts but I have been told to avoid all nuts as it could change. However, with Epipens and avoiding the allergen, anaphylaxis can be handled. I found out I was allergic on the 18th of December 2013 and I haven't had an anaphylactic reaction since!

No comments:

Post a Comment